Physical Education at Nightingale Primary School
Nightingale Primary School believes that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is a unique and vital contributor to a pupil’s physical development and well-being.
- At Nightingale, EYFS and KS1 PE is taught by sports coaches, employed from Welling Sports Coaches. KS2 PE is taught by specialist PE teachers.
- A broad and balanced physical education curriculum provides for pupils’ increasing self-confidence in their ability to manage themselves and their bodies within a variety of movement situations.
- Pupil voice plays a key role in the activities experienced within the PE curriculum, promoting a broad base knowledge, skills and understanding across a wide variety of sports and activities. PE encourages the development of independent life-long learners with children responding appropriately and sympathetically to others, irrespective of their age, gender, cultural or ethnic background.
- The activities offered and the teaching approaches adopted provide pupils with opportunities to develop their creative and expressive abilities, through improvisation and problem-solving. Pupils are encouraged to appreciate the importance of a healthy and fit body, and begin to understand those factors that affect health and fitness.
Overview of the PE Curriculum 2022/23
- Swimming is an essential part of the PE curriculum. As well as the benefits to children’s health and fitness it develops confidence, stamina and persistence. Children are also taught how to keep safe in water and how to behave while at the pool. Swimming is also a statutory requirement of the Key Stage 2 curriculum (please refer to the Physical Education, Key Stage 2 Programme of Study and QCA Scheme of Work for further requirements).
- At Nightingale Primary School, the swimming curriculum is taught in Years 4, 5 and 6. Children are provided with two weeks of intensive training throughout the academic year of swimming. The Head of PE / supervising adults and swimming instructor keep records so that children’s progress can be reported to parents and achievements recognised.
- It is expected that all children will participate in swimming lessons. Any medical needs will be catered for as appropriate. Should there be a medical reason why a child should not swim we would expect this to be supported by a medical certificate or request.
- Children will swim at the Waterfront Leisure Centre, Woolwich. Transport to and from the pool is included in the costs to school for swimming provision.
- Children will need a suitable swimming costume, a swimming hat and a towel in a plastic bag or swimming bag. Loose, baggy shorts are not suitable for boys. Any children with long hair will need to have it covered by a swimming hat. All jewellery, including earrings must be removed. Any jewellery that cannot be removed must be covered with a plaster. Nightingale Primary School complies with the Waterfront Leisure Centre regulations.
Competitions at Nightingale
We believe that it is important for pupils to experience physical activity outside of PE lessons. We regularly attend sporting events, these competitions range in sports and activities and are taken part in throughout KS1 and KS2. Nightingale also has a football team who regularly attend matches.
All children who attend Nightingale will be allocated a House. There are 4 Houses - Owls, Hawks, Falcons and Eagles - The children compete for their House Teams on Sports Day. They also wear their House shirts for PE lessons.
House shirts are available to buy from the School Office for £10
On sports week, pupils at Nighingale are given the opportunity to take part in different physical activities such as: sponsored walks, inflatable days, trips to local parks and sports day! It is a week of sport that pupils love!
At Nightingale, we have a group of year 5 & 6 pupils that are given the duty of being a sports leader. They are given responsibilities around the school such as supporting activities on the playground and with younger pupils as well as supporting and running sports competitions!